Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 3 Observations

This week Dr. McFarland added "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients include fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. The analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland 2013). This created much more diversity in my microaquarium and much more microorganisms to view. 

One of the first organisms I found was a Bodo sp. It has two flagella and is recognized by it's flickering motion (Patterson 50). 
The next organism I identified was an Epilaxis sp. This had many cilia in on one end, and then one on the opposite end. 
Another ciliate I found was a Tachysoma sp. (Patterson 125). This also had cilia on opposite ends of the organism.
And to add to that was a Pleuronema (Patterson 150) which had a veil on it as shown in the picture below. 
My final picture is a Heterophrys sp. (Patterson 173). This had distinct rigid spikes that were asymmetrical.
I have not found any larger animals like worms or cyclops--mostly just single celled organisms taking over my microaquarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment